Change of pace:
Slow days save my life. They can be annoying, but, for the most part I enjoy them as much as working my ass off. Last weekend was a perfect example. Saturday I came in to work, Thursday and Friday were pretty busy, fell in the weeds once on both nights. So I assumed saturday would be pretty mellow. I come in, start with sweeping as I do on Friday/Saturday, then took out some ciabatta as we only had 2 or 3 panini's left from friday night. Damn near everything is MTO on saturday, which can be a pain in the ass but is also a bit refreshing. Making everything to order is a slight change up and only really hurts if we get busy. It started off slow, infact it reminded me of last fall/winter, we changed our hours to open at 2pm on saturday, I usually had a good 2 to 3 hours before even making one order, or very few and far between. Ken and Kirsten came in, we had Kelly(medina group) actually sitting at the bar for a change as her group was all out of town. I chatted with her a little bit which was nice, I've never really talked to her. It was pretty dead, so all the regulars who I enjoy talking to I actually was able to. It did pick up later on but that was alright. My girlfriends brother Tim even came in for a bit. Only thing that sucked about it picking up was that we were supposed to go chill with Tim and Miriam. But that's only this particular day, I don't mind small rushes that pass the time.
Routine:
There's not as much to say and not as much prep work on the off days so it generally goes something like this.
Show up, Sweep, Cut and weigh cheese, replace all the candles in the candle holders, there's between 20 and 35, I haven't counted in awhile and we have some more. Then I either take a smoke break or do some random task my boss presents me with which can be anything from pricing new wines, repricing all the wines, stocking wine, cleaning something or everything which can include ceiling fans, fridge, thorough sweeping of my workspace. I generally fold out almost linen napkins also, around 25 to 50 of them.
Saturdays can be anywhere from completely dead and I get off work around 8, 8:30(which only gives me a 4-4.5 workday). They've also been known to be completely different, we've had saturdays as busy as a thursday or friday. Birthday parties, scheduled or not. Random groups of tourists or even random groups of locals. I can be busy in the kitchen all night and not get out till 10-10:30. We also usually have oktoberfest on saturdays which I have literally worked a 10 to 12 hour day. We are also doing a mayfest(Maifest) this year aswell, which is also a german thing. I believe it's to welcome spring.
Another good thing I enjoy about Friday is that I get to leave at 3:30, which means I get to watch General Hospital and usually catch the first half of the Ellen show. Mindless stupid TV, but I've been hooked and watching GH since I was born, my earliest memories of it are when I was 6 or 7 and I generally remember the history of the show and all the crazy soap shit that happens better than anyone. Ellen is just hilarious most times.
Slow days, while annoying, save lives.
Wednesday, March 10, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

yeah...you guys got me hooked on General Hospital. lol! it may be mindless but all their drama puts my petty problems into perspective and makes me feel better. no matter how bad i've messed up sometimes they TOP it TENFOLD! :) love you mister.
ReplyDelete