It was a Friday like most Friday's of the past few weeks. My mom took the truck early to do grocery shopping to be back in time for me to head out to work. I get up out of bed around noon, notice Jen's here, must've been up late so she was too tired to go with mom. Get up, do my thing, head next door for General Hospital and breakfast. about a quarter to 3 my mom calls to tell me the radiator in the truck is leaking and she needs to have it checked out. So I tell her that's fine, I'll just take the Jeep. I start getting ready for work, as I will need to leave earlier. It's a 95 Jeep and it's not that fast. You can barely reach 60mph in it. Get all my shit together and head to the barn for the Jeep after filling up a few Jugs of water for IT'S radiator. Fill it up, screw the cap on loosely, which I later found out was still too tight. I throw everything in the Jeep, which isn't much as with my newly acquired Chef Coat's I no longer have much of a need for an apron. Which may not be true but Chef's don't wear aprons!
So I take off. Right around passing through what can only be described as the "Town square" of my town, that's right town. It's not a city. We have no mayor, police or fire department. Just one Ice house, a post office and the 2 diner's we have, which is a step up for all the history of this place. I'm passing the last diner on a curve, when a truck pulling a trailer comes around IN MY LANE. I hit the breaks, try to honk but my dad loves the horn so much it doesn't work for me. He likes to drive around the ranch and then come honk when he needs a beer and it's the most annoying AWOOOGA horn in the world, but it gets the Job done. With the horn failing and my intense hatred for dumbasses who should never be pulling a trailer, I flip them off. less than 5 seconds after and the adrenaline hitting me, I realize I could have just flipped off a neighbor. Fuck. I keep on with the journey and that's really what it is in a Jeep like this. There's one large hill you go up which pretty much marks the halfway point between us and the town I work in. The Jeep starts overheating around the time I reach the top. Fuck. So I gas it a little, I remember my dad telling me that the more air hitting the radiator the cooler it will become. It starts dropping, once I reach the bottom, it shoots back up, I start smelling it, but there's no steam or smoke, so I'm not entirely worried that I fucked anything up, but nevertheless pull over. I shut it off, wait about 2 minutes and try again. Still overheating. So I pull way off the road and go to call my girlfriend, Renea. Who, luckily is off of work and at her parents house for some sewing action. Guess what? No signal, the hill was cut through so the walls block you and then all the hills around that particular section block it further. So I start walking, no one's slowing down to see if I need help, which I wouldn't have taken it, but still, no one did. Finally have enough signal to call her and I do, she says she'll come get me, she's only about 5 minutes away.
I then realize I left the keys in the Jeep, so I turn around and start walking back. At one point I'm walking against traffic in the road due to a drop off to my left. 4 bikers pass me, no waves, no nothing. I get the keys and start walking back. I'm going to be late, which my boss already knows due to Jeep action, but I don't want to be THAT late. So I figure the more I walk the closer I'm there. Renea picks me up. I'm bitching about the trailer and the people who didn't do anything. Fuck people. We stop at the gas station so I can run in and get a drink for work(I refill my big cup of pepsi for 75 cents). I see all the bikers who saw me in the road, standing there drinking their red bull and shit. Older gents too. Did they ask me if I was alright? How I got here? No, they ignored me as best they could to help their guilt.
Work:
Apart from being annoyed with the start of the day work goes half-way decently. My good buddy Smokin Joe came in and I actually had a few minutes to chat with him while he ate his meat and cheese board I fixed him. After this came those tasks I've mentioned before. The weird random ones that happen every 6 months, give or take. I washed all the windows and did a few other random things of the sort. The day was steady. Slow spots, steady parts. Nothing super busy, nothing forcing me to fall behind on glassware and such, thus leaving me in the weeds. A scotts-man and his bandmates were over from the UK playing at the funhouse, which is in my town. I have no ride other than my dad. So I text him that I am shutting down the kitchen, explain the scotts-man, the bagpipes, the trumpet and all I get is "At 11st" which to me translates to "Don't really wanna go, having a great time here". I don't fault him for that, I've done shit like that from time to time.
Being a Walking John:
So I finish up, have my shift drink of beer and then decide on glass of wonderful Pinot Noir. Afterwards I decide to pull a walking John. He has no drivers license and walks or bums rides everywhere. I'm not him, but I decided to pull a walking John. My bosses brother tells me it's about a 10 minute walk. I figure "What the hell, I already walked on the side of the road waiting for a ride, why not? I might be a little sore tomorrow, but hell, Saturday's are usually mellow, with maybe a small rush for dinner." So I start walking. I get about halfway there and for some reason decide to give my dad a call. What if he got talked in to going to another bar? Or decided to come have a glass of wine with me since he knew I was off. He picks up, I tell him I'm on my way to 11st. He asks if I have a ride, I tell him nope, decided to get exercise and walk it. He tells me he went back to BEC where he works, because the air conditioners went out and his servers are going to overheat(he's an IT guy). So I was like well shit, he offered to come pick me up and I told him I could wait at blue genes(another bar, there's 9 of them in a town of maybe 1k people, but it's more like 800) He says he'll get me anyway and calls me right outside the parking lot saying I might be bored would I rather hang at blue genes. I said it didn't matter, I had already gotten a shot of maker's mark so I'd have a bit of a buzz while playing on his computers. I told him I'd have a beer or two as I spotted Lee and a few other guys that I somewhat knew. So I walk back in, get a beer, which I think annoyed the bartender who I've known for awhile cause I told him that was it, I was just having the shot. I spot Jeff and Mary, some of my dads old friends from bar tending and ask if I can sit with them, they agree and about 5 minutes later my dad walks in. So we all chat and 2 or 3 beers later decide to head home. We stop by BEC to check up on things, Dad gives me a tour as I hadn't been there in over a year. Then we head home, try to pick up the Jeep on the way seeing as it would be cooled off by now. Overheats again. We leave it.
Saturday:
I get up early to check on the Jeep with my mom. The hose from the radiator to the motor was split and torn up. We go to napa. Apparently no one really drives 4 cylinder vehicles anymore. They checked 28 stores and we would have had to drive to la grange to get it, so we have them order it and get the Jeep towed to the house. Take the truck to work, which was slow as fuck. We didn't have any customers for almost 3 hours. I get off at a decent time, it was a bit busier later so it wasn't early. I have a few drinks as it's dead again and head home. Passing the fun house I see the new huge stage is up, turn around and stop in. Invite renea for a drink. I only got to hear maybe a minute of their last song and then that was it. Me and renea had a few drinks and chatted with Bear, Mike, Ms Casey and Harla for a bit. Then they closed up and we came home.
I later found out that a bunch of people around town had shit happening to them on friday. I thought karma was kicking the shit out of me, but apparently it was just a weird ass day for everyone. I was annoyed and down about it but it's whatever, you can't do anything about it, now can you?
Wednesday, April 14, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

i can't wait to read all of these entries in their entirety. like on long book...
ReplyDeletei loved this. keep writing please! :D