So I was recently on a road trip. I drove from a little north of san antonio to colorado. Denver more specifically, to see Death Cab for Cutie at the legendary Red Rocks amphitheater. That was my first time driving out of state, that was my first road trip where I had to pay attention so we didn't get lost. It was amazing and great and that's another story, here's mine right now.
I went to the grocery store the other day, which is about an hour away. I didn't hit the old shitty town I work in(I can say that cause I work and live in the county), I went elsewhere. Not boerne mind you. anyways, I was stuck behind this old white car, I don't know what it was but it was older. Not super old but late 90s early 00. So I'm stuck, this fucking car, I couldn't tell. Either they were drunk off their ass at 2pm or the car was so fucked up they couldn't handle it right, they swirved so much and braked on every little turn there was, we were doing about 45 or 50 in a 60 zone. I don't recall the license plate which probably means it was a texan plate. But I'm sitting there thinking "god damn you fucker, don't you know how to drive?" I did think "Maybe they aren't from around these parts and maybe they are taking it slow cause they don't know the road" but in a place like this, on this rural ass road you tend to think they're from around here which made me think they were drunk, or atleast it was a shit-ass car. My sister amidst my mild ranting said maybe they don't know it. But in a car like that how much of a chance is there that they are visiting somewhere? I mean really? And what's more is that when I finally had the chance to pass him, he gunned it so I couldn't, though he didn't realize I'm in a recent model dodge truck and I can hit 80-85 to pass while he can't. Fuckers.
So all of that in mind, I think it's nuts, really weird actually, that we as a state, as a county or city look at a car and assume so much based on the driving. I could have been mistaken, maybe it was someone visiting friends or family. But after my trip, driving mind you, to colorado.. I never would have even given it a thought. I never would have wondered if they were local or not, just assumed they were local and plastered. It's just weird to think about, random strange weird shit that happens to you on the road can be from a number of things, not just out of state or drunk, it could be anything. Seeing the difference between Texas, New Mexico and colorado drivers changed that for me. It really did and I'm amazed at the weird shit that you think of after being somewhere other than home, even if home is just a state or county and not your literal home. I'm baffled, really. It also gives me some sort of comfort, I suppose it's that I know I'm from here, so to speak, that this is what I am, who we are and it differs so much depending on purely a god damn county or state line. It's nuts.
Friday, August 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment