Thursday, August 27, 2009

Language(s)

I don't even really know how to begin this. There are times my thoughts are so clogged.. Mind you, this is not from anything other than my own brain; It's not the alcohol, sleep deprivation or anything else I do that one could say change thought process or clog the brain from pulsing the way it should.

It's that I have so much to say and so many thoughts flying around that they butt heads and battle for supremacy or that there are too many loose ends. If I do not truly know an answer or am not satisfied with my conclusion, they fly around desperately trying to find an answer, no matter how calm I may appear on the surface. For me this can result in "zoning out" or more simply put "Sorry, I wasn't here. I was somewhere else" as my father so often puts it, which to me is righteous and elegant in its own sense. Follow that up with a mischievous grin and you have yourself quite the valid answer to why you weren't listening, or stopped mid conversation. That's no scapegoat either my friends.

One more quick addition. I've been writing stories. Tales, tall, wise, bleak, unusual or boring as they may be. This isn't a story, this is an... assumption of sorts. an analysis, a speculation an observation, it's one or all of those things.

Anyways onwards and let's pick it up.

Languages. There are so many. More than probably you and I could count! I could list off the 5 to 10 or more I can think of but that would be pointless, you all know a few you can pick off from up yonder. But, the thing is, the thing that fascinates me is that if you don't even know a language you can still use the persons body to atleast try and figure some of it out. By the same token they can do the same if they don't understand you and are asking a question. More times than not I suppose it doesn't often work out, infact that can muddy things up more. But to go beyond the initial verbal language barrier, to a deeper meaning and one that probably surpasses two butting languages all together, the body language can do oh so much more.

I was watching a movie tonight. I actually quite literally just finished it. I noticed, this girl.. erm Tom Cruise's currant wife, unneccesary as that might be, it's who it was. Was trying to tell this writer that while his book was good it was a bit heavy on explanations, he went in to the history of the horses the family owned with no real reasoning other than he thought it all up before hand. While she's trying to tell him this she conveys with her hand(she was sitting on a bed) how truely hard it was and how she really didn't want to tell him about it all with her hand, motioning from her stomach up and toward him. As if she was fighting throwing up something she just ate in front of a bunch of people out of shame and embarrassment. While that may not be exactly what she felt it could appear to be truly from her body language. Or the way a girl can shift her weight from one side of her body to the other making her little hip pop out a bit combined with a bite of a lip and an eye roll to express that she's embarrassed but also highly flattered at something you just did or said. Guys tend to shrink back a bit and look down with a grin that he probably didn't want you to see to convey the exact same thing. Some people like myself will start sipping a beverage, whether alcoholic or not to express his anxiety in a social situation. Also, everyone says there's a look in the eye, A LOOK PURELY IN AN EYE(apparently eyes convey emotion more than purely watering out of saddness) before he's going to hit you or doing something violent.

There are truly so many things you can do purely with your body rather than even saying anything and more times than not if you pay enough attention you can tell what someone really means with their words by watching the body. Even as much as you probably don't want to, there are, for sure situations you yourself have been in where you didn't want to say or couldn't where your pure body language said it all. I know I try to keep it in check, so that no one can ever really tell... For me I supposed it's a defense, if I wake up the next day knowing I fucked up I can atleast try to say I meant it differently rather than what I might have meant, but if my body had shown it, everyone knows I'm full of shit. But there are many many times when don't get me wrong, people have misjudged me and what I said or did. Hell, even animals do it. It's purely nuts, I tell ya! These kinds of things astound me at times and as much as I want to know exactly why people do it I think it's better off a mystery, it's almost more real that way.

1 comment:

  1. i love this post. and i completely agree. there is so much you can tell from a person's body language, whether they think they are concealing it or not. and its something you can pick up on with someone you just met. sometimes even more so, because we tend to study that person more than someone who is by your side everyday. its funny how the person who is always there can sometimes fall on the backburner, not that you mean for them to, it just happens, but when you can stay focused on the person who is there with you always, that is when true magic can happen. and you will notice things you never noticed before, and it can become a treasure hunt of sorts. learning each other. this kind of went off on a tangent of thought, but hey. good rant my friend!

    ReplyDelete